Top Ten Teamwork Tips
7 Jul 2020 | Anne Marie Fogarty
| Share with
What do you need to be present for a team to succeed in delivering that care efficiently? Read on to discover the ten tips we feel are necessary to develop excellent teamwork.
Below we describe the environment that must be present for successful teamwork.
- The team understands the goals and are committed to achieving them. There needs to be a clear purpose or direction right from the start.
- The environment must allow people to feel comfortable in communicating, advocating positions, and taking action. Team members must have trust in each other.
- Open communication, honesty and respect are essential. People should feel free to express their ideas and opinions.
- Team members need to feel a strong sense of belonging to the group.
- Team members are seen to be unique people with invaluable experiences, points of view, knowledge, and opinions to contribute.
- Creativity, innovation, and different viewpoints are encouraged. Discouraging language and attitudes such as ‘that was tried and failed’ are not supportive in team working.
- The team can continuously examine itself and continually improve its processes, practices, and the interaction of team members. There will be review meetings to address the progress of the project openly and honestly.
- The team will agree upon procedures for diagnosing, analysing, and resolving conflict. The team does not support member personality clashes nor do team members take sides in a disagreement. Instead, members work towards the mutual resolution of problems and differences.
- Participative leadership is practised in the form of leading meetings, task setting, taking records of decisions, progress assessment, holding team members accountable, and providing direction for the team.
- Team members make important decisions together and have the support and commitment of the group to carry out those decisions.
We are all about teamwork and believe everybody has a role to play. Ensuring the environment is suitable to foster collaboration is an essential factor.
Heathfield, S. (2017) the balance, 10 Tips for Better Teamwork. Available at: https://www.thebalance.com/tips-for-better-teamwork-1919225