What advice would you give your younger self?
Hindsight is 20/20- yes, we all heard that one a million times, but it could not be truer. As SpRs advance to newly registered consultants in the UK, what advice and tips might prove a useful resource?
- When choosing a speciality, choose one you are passionate about.
- Make time for fun outside of work.
- Avoid or decrease the number of late finishes you have-its easy fall into the trap of trying to please everyone all the time eagerly, but family life will suffer if you are working many late nights.
- Eat a well-balanced diet, it's a busy job and difficult to make time to eat meals and exercise, but it is vital to sustain the pace of the job.
- Have a good social life, hobbies, and holidays to relax.
- Sleep is vital and a night of good night sleep will rejuvenate your body and mind
- Learn to say NO! An easy trap to fall into is saying yes to everyone, but it's a fast-track to burnout.
- Be realistic with your workload-do not take on too much
- Seek support and advice when needed, nobody knows everything.
- Do not underestimate cases – all cases are unique.
- Be vigilant with documentation-golden rule-if it has not been documented; it has not been done.
- As in all walks of life, conflict is going to occur, be professional and polite. Don't act on impulse.
- Watch your mental health and use self-care to avoid burnout.
- Don't be afraid to innovate and challenge current thinking on a technique or existing way of doing something.
- In practice, always do no harm, step back if you need time out, reflect on your decisions and practices when needed.
Essentially, although you have finished all clinical training, becoming a consultant in any speciality is a journey. A journey of continuous learning and discovery. We will support you along that journey by tailoring our roles to suit your needs. We have a large number of both SpR and Consultant opportunities available in many specialities including:
- General Medicine
- Care of the Elderly - Gerontology
- Endocrinology & Diabetes
- SpR Trauma and Orthopaedics
- SpR General Surgery
- SpR Otolaryngology (ear, nose, throat- ENT)
- SpR Cardiothoracic
- SpR Urology
We also have many more fantastic opportunities available, visit us at www.ProMedical.co.uk/jobs